Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Watched some of my old movies tonight

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To amuse myself and my family, I brought out some of my old films tonight...not the scratched up family films made with my first GAF cheapo, but films I had made with my Bell and Howell back in 83-84, and had hardly ever watched...in a word, wow! The acting was bad, the costumes were silly, but the picture was gorgeous! Even the indoor scenes filmed with photoflood worklights were really sharp and detailed..the outdoor scenes were something else...the color was eyepopping...especially the reds! I projected it large on the wall, and it was much more absorbing than on a television...the sound was acceptable, as good as you can get with a cheap mic and no sound blimp. Since the films hadn't been watched in about 13 years, they were pretty much scratch free, and looked as though it had been made yesterday...no fading, no video dropouts...the colors were as they had been 17 years ago...can't beat that Kodachrome! Wish Rank Cintel weren't so expensive! I prefer projecting my films, but with reversal film, they would eventually start showing wear...and I can get more professional on an NLE, with nice music, effects and titles. Mike

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Film & Video Transfers in Northridge is somewhere around $150.00-$200.00 an hour.

    We have a topic post somewhere around here about alternative transfer methods if you find that too expensive.

    Great description of your films, it's as if we were there.

    You could put up a big white sheet and show your films at night in your backyard.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do they have a website, Alex? That is less expensive than the Pro8 rank cintel transfer...I was eventually going to try MovieStuff's transfer...anyone had any experience with that? Mike

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They do indeed transfer to mini-dv. I think they don't like it mini-dv a video mastering medium because the tape is so filmsy and the decks don't have "standard" options that are found on the high-end analog decks, but they do transfer to it.

    I'd recommend DV-CAM, but only if you have a DV-CAM video deck.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is a link to Film & Video Transfers...

    They have a very high quality "film-chain" transfer service. You have to specify rank cintel for super-8 as it is not listed on their website.

    http://www.thetransferstation.com/price.htm

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 06, 2002 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks alex, I'll check it out! I'm glad you visit this forum alot! I know a previous thread was started about rank transfers, but it kind of got sidetracked...are all rank cintel transfers created equal, or are there some places that do a better job/less expensive...anyone with experience on this, please share! Mike

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I checked out that website, Alex..prices look pretty good, but they don't appear to transfer to mini dv, which is the video format I use. When I get ready to transfer material, I'll email them to see if they've added that to their roster! Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •